On this page, you can listen to short recordings, answer questions and see the scripts and the corrections.
These are aimed mainly at Shells, Fourths and Fifths (Y9-10-11)
Choose a topic below (only the light blue ones are ready for now - thank you for your patience!):
In the Sixth Form, you can practise your Listening skills on these sites:
General tips to improve your scores in Listening tasks:
- Know the question words: pourquoi, quand, qui, ou, comment, que, etc...
(if you are in the Fourth or Fifths year, click here for examples of IGCSE questions from Past Papers)
- Make sure you can recognise the 3 main tenses: some questions are about something that happened in the past, or something that is different now from the way it was before
- Know specific vocabulary (home life routine, accidents & emergencies, weather, etc). Click here for IGCSE essential vocabulary that often comes up in Papers.
- Know some important connectives / linking words, such as: sauf (except), pourtant (however), if (si)
- Make sure you can recognise negative forms: ne...pas, ne ...jamais, ne...rien. But remember that ne...que means only (it is not a negative)
- Know modal verbs verbs and expressions: on doit / nous pouvons (we have to), on peut / nous pouvons (we can), il faut (one must), il est interdit de, il est obligatoire de
(As you get closer to taking the IGCSE exams, it is essential to know the above modal verbs in the past and future tenses too. They often come up in Papers!
- Know what these mean: avantage / inconvénient, qualité / défaut
- Make sure you understand time expressions: avant / après , depuis 5 ans (for the last 5 years), pendant 3 ans (for 3 years), il y a 10 mois (10 months ago), d'habitude (generally)
- know your numbers: 5/15/50; 80, 90, 100, 1000