Learn French > Self-studying > Advanced
Tasks to develop your skills, consolidate or further your learning
- Study a point suggested on the Grammar skills page
- Choose an explanation of a grammar item and practise translating the examples given (English to French)
- Make cards conjugating High-frequency verbs
- Select an article (paper or on-line) and do Active Reading, focusing on a particular grammar point.
- To improve your sentence structure, write in simple French the summary of the life of a famous French person, or a description of a monument or a festival. These are good to practise verb formation.
- Write down 10 headlines from French Newspapers on a given day, translate them into English and then back into French.
- Make Word Cluster cards: Choose a verb (from the High-frequency list for example), and look it up, preferably in a paper dictionary. Write down a cluster of words which are linked:
eg1: décevoir (vb) / décevant (adj) / la déception (disappointment)
eg2: Coûter (vb) / le coût (noun) / coûteux (adj) / le coût de la vie (expression) / coûter la peau des fesses (idiomatic expression, familiar language)
- Select 20 items of topic-specific vocabulary and learn them (You may want to create desks of cards with Quizlet)
- IB-specific: Select 20 items of "Familiar language" or "Idiomatic expressions" and learn them